Updated: Jul 16, 2020
We've already talked a bit about Hygge and its definition. As a reminder, Hygge is a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).
Hygge is practiced regularly in countries including Denmark, Norway, and the Netherlands. In these countries, Hygge is the ultimate way of life. We can learn Hygge by following this guide outlined by Hygge experts at The Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Practice Hygge as follows...
1) Atmosphere 2) Presence 3) Pleasure
4) Equality 5) Gratitude 6) Harmony
7) Comfort 8) Truce 9) Togetherness
Let's simply describe how to make these nine ideas for Hygge in your home...
1) Atmosphere - Candles and lamps.
2) Presence - Be here and now. Stay off your phone.
3) Pleasure - Eat a piece of cake. Drink some hot cocoa.
4) Equality - Everyone can have a say and everyone can have a story.
5) Gratitude - Be thankful for this life.
6) Harmony - It's not a competition. Keep the peace. Don't brag about yourself.
7) Comfort - Relax. Put on fluffy socks. Grab a blanket.
8) Truce - Drama free please. Politics will be there tomorrow.
9) Togetherness - Build relationships. Create dialogue. Be together.
Studies show that incorporating all of these ideas into your life, even if it's just one evening with a couple of friends, can create long term happiness.
Give it a try! We're positive you'll be smiling all night long!